Thursday, April 10, 2014

Rechargable Batteries that work: Rayovac

   

     It has been a few weeks since I have been able to take the time to sit and write another review.  This one is for everyone who uses batteries, which is pretty much all of us.  Whether you put batteries in your remote, camera, wireless keyboard and mouse, or are a Fitness Instructor like me, you probably have been using them for years.  Like soaps and shampoos, I have gone through my fare share of batteries.  Years ago, I started with Duracell and Energizer batteries which were the "extra long lasting" "Lithium" or "Titanium"; however, like all non-NiMH batteries, they died and could not be brought back to life.  In my early 20's, when I started Fitness Instructing at GoodLife, I went through a lot of the 9V batteries which our Microphones used.  I attempted to make a switch to the new rechargeable batteries which Energizer was making, and unfortunately, the dimensions were not standard and I had to stop using them.
     As you can imagine, this produced a lot of waste.  When I was younger, I was not as concerned about the environment and some of them may have made it into the landfill.  To give you an idea of how many batteries a Fitness Instructor goes through on average, two AA batteries will last you about 6 classes.  If you teach three classes a week, you're going though a pack of batteries in a month; however, if you teach more, you can imagine how many batteries Instructors who teach 12 classes a week go through.
     After three years of teaching, AA batteries became more standard in most of our microphones and then I switched to rechargeables.  The first brand I tried was Energizer, and I purchased four AA batteries and the brand name charger which they required.  After two months of usage, I was awoken in the middle of the night by four pops which were so loud I thought someone was throwing rocks at my 12th floor apartment window.  I got out of bed and looked at my batteries in the charger, they had turned colour from a bright shiny silver to a copper tone.  When I raised the charger to my ear, I could hear the batteries sizzling.  That was it, my rechargeables were cooked.  The experience scared me off of using rechargeable batteries for nearly another year, and I purchased a car and became diligent about disposing of my non-rechargeable batteries in the environmentally friendly way.

    Six years ago I purchased a new set of rechargeable batteries by a company called Rayovac.  They are not the name brand batteries I was used to purchasing and I had a fair amount of doubt after what I experienced from the name brand Energizer.  Success!.  I was so pleasantly surprised by the longevity and durability of my first four that I purchased another four. With the batteries I also bought the name brand charger; however, they do not make my charger anymore so I'm not sure how many batteries the new ones can charge at one time. My charger can hold ten AA batteries, or one 9V and eight AA's.  Since my initial purchase I have acquired an additional ten, newer pre-charged batteries and they are still holding a charge strong.  The first eight which I purchased six years ago are not holding a charge longer than three classes, so I use them in my low-energy devices like my keyboard and mouse.  After six years I have only retired two batteries, the rest are still holding their own and holding a charge.  I have saved hundreds of dollars and saved the environment by making a switch to Rayovac rechargeable batteries.  The best news about Rayovac is that they do not just produce AA and 9V rechargeables, but they also have AAA, D, and C as well.  All Rayovac batteries can be charged in any NiMH charger, which makes charging more convenient for you.  If you are interested in saving the environment and willing to make the small sacrifice of making sure your batteries stay charged, then I would highly recommend this brand of battery.

Personal Tip:  Maybe not for every reader 

     Now, here is something the people at the "Adult Fun Superstore" will not tell you.  You can use rechargeable batteries for all of your "personal fun" needs.  For three years I used a 9V rechargeable battery in a slightly expensive "bullet".  The toy eventually died because the chord became frayed, it was not because of the type of battery I was using.  When I returned to the retail establishment and relayed my story, the sales persons were shocked that my toy had lasted so long and with a rechargeable battery.  The reason for not using a rechargeable battery in a toy is the power output may be inconsistent.  Rayovac had done it again, and I still have that 9V rechargeable battery after six years.  Keep that in mind if you do not purchase toys with a rechargeable battery already included.

     No matter if you use rechargeable batteries or stick with tradition, I cannot stress the importance about keeping these items out of the landfill.  Unfortunately, the Rayovac website states that it's rechargeable batteries can be put in with the trash; however, I feel very strongly that all batteries should be disposed of in a responsible way. For those of you in Canada, please consult this website for the nearest recycling depot to you.  If you are in the United states, please use this website for the same information.  In the end, rechargeable batteries mean less trips, far less trips, to the recycling depot and will give you more money for your dollar.  Just take my experience for example, six years with the same batteries without one problem, and I am looking forward to many more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment