Thursday, January 30, 2014

Carina Organics

     

     It's about time I posted something positive rather than expressing the concerns of those of us who prefer to sport tinfoil hats.

    Lately I have been growing tired of my usual shampoos and personal care products.  As I have been sharing, the hunt for new products has been an education.  Learning as I go, I have been doing my best to find products and support companies with who's values, practices, and merchandise best align themselves with my own values and environmental conscience.  The theory I have not yet expressed is that of why I feel it is so important to change the products you use outside of the obvious, "Those chemicals are not good for you".  In an extremely complicated world where I feel so small and helpless to make big changes in big business, exact change in areas which are indeed contributing to the destruction of habitat, extinction of species, general poisoning of the Earth, and ultimately shortening the human race's remarkable existence; there is one ecosystem in which I can most definitely impact, and that is my own.  No one is forcing me, in this grand world of consumer choice, to purchase any one brand of product.  You literally have complete freedom of choice to spend how you will.  The consumer dictates the market, the market does not dictate to the consumer.  An excellent example of this is a documentary mini-series called, "The Century of the Self", which focuses on our societies shift from a "needs" based community to a "wants" based community.  As a consumer, you have 100% control over how you spend your money and this is how I take control in my own life in efforts to produce a positive impact on others.  Naturally, one hopes that if they make such a change it will aid their own longevity; however, I have no preconceptions.  The facts clearly point that the chemicals which I am so diligently trying to avoid, and then some, surround us and trace amounts will always exist in our systems.  The more important issue is removing myself from further contributing to the damage which has already been done.

   I digress.  After having diligently supported companies like Green Beaver and Hugo Naturals (now Hugo & Debrah Naturals), I have grown tired of what I feel are overwhelming scents in these products.  Yes, these products are better than your average shampoo; but, I feel that it's time for me to work the artificial scents out of my daily life completely and even if they are Phthalate-Free.  If there is any scent other than soap which can be distinguished in a product, I want the origin to be from the essential oil which has been wrung from the plant itself.  I have a feeling that this too will be another undertaking; however, there are some products out there now which reflect this desire.  One of them is Vancouver, British Colombia's own, Carina Organics.

  When I was paroozing the Skin Deep website database for a new shampoo, Carina Organics was one of those companies who's products popped up with a EWG rating of "0".  After typing in their name into Google, I found with much surprise that Carina Organics is a Canadian company!.  Since I had never seen their products in any store, I was completely unaware of their existence.  After locating their website, I promptly started familiarizing myself with the company by visiting their "Philosophy" tab.  Their philosophy reads as follows:

     "Our goal is to provide the cleanest possible products for your body. This means natural products, full of medicinal organics and completely free of cortisone, steroids, DEA (diethanolamine), sulfates, salt (sodium chloride), propylene glycol, aluminum, synthetic fragrances, and dyes. With a constantly increasing awareness of the potentially harmful chemical and synthetic ingredients used in health and beauty products, it is becoming more apparent that safer, more natural and organic alternatives should be made available.
     
     Potentially harmful ingredients such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA (Diethanolamine), Propylene Glycol and Sodium Chloride (Salt) are chemicals that are used in most of the beauty related products available on the common market.They are inexpensive to use and make the products appear richer in quality by providing either foam enhancing, thickening or moisture retaining properties to the product.These ingredients have undergone extensive testing and many are now recognized as potentially harmful or cancer causing. They can be absorbed through the skin and into the blood stream and can eventually accumulate  in various organs of the body. The body has a difficult time detoxifying these chemicals and the results can be serious if organs are overcome with toxins.

     At  C
arina, we have chosen a healthier alternative. Since Carina's inception in 1972, replacing chemical and synthetic ingredients with natural and organic extracts, essences and oils has always been central to our focus and philosophy. This simple formula has helped Carina and its products become recognized and preferred globally".

    
Like Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, Carina Organics also uses the "All One" concept for it's shampoos and body wash.   Carina Organics has six different shampoo/body wash dual use products, one of which is for baby.  Unlike some of the other companies I am familiar with, Carina Organics also makes a variety of hair styling products like hair gel and hair spray which are free of PEG compounds.  This is extremely rare as I have encountered few companies who do not utilize the use of PEG's in their hair gel.  They have a completely unscented product line as well, with many of their shampoos and styling products available with both essential oils for extra scent or the unscented option.  They do not use any chemical preservatives in any of their products, they are 100% plant based and biodegradable, not tested on animals, soy and gluten free.  Last, but not least, the largest selling point to me about this company is that they offer larger sized of their complete line of products.  The smallest size of their shampoo, for example, costs $9.99 for 360ml bottle; the next size up, 1L costs $19.99 - That's more than twice the amount for $10 more, not a bad deal.  It will also save on plastic if you opt for the larger container.  The only drawback is the shipping.  For a small order of four bottles of their smallest size products, a little more than a pop can in size and weight, the package cost $10 to ship; however, shipping is fast, and you will receive your package within the week at your local post office - No UPS.


     Thus far, I have only been able to use the hair gel.  This gel is unlike your usual styling glue as it is very light, but you do need a little more of it; however, your hair will not feel like you have product in it.  As for hold, I can only speak from the experience of a woman who has shoulder length and very straight, fine and plentiful hair.  I would say to expect a little less hold from this product, but I feel that is a fair price to pay for not having harmful PEG, preservative and fragrance chemicals on and in your person.  The bottle is small, only 250ml; however, you are still using so little of it that I can see this bottle lasting me some months with daily use.

    In my opinion, if you are a consumer interested in living toxin free and interested in supporting the Canadian economy, this is the product for you.  If you are not so concerned with the extra fossil fuels which will be consumed in this products delivery, Green Beaver and Nature Clean are closer to Ontario (if that's where you hail from); but, neither of those companies offer some of the products available through Carina Organics.  Personally, I feel the extra exhaust is well worth it and much appreciated.  If that is where your concern is, buy bulk and visit:  http://carinaorganics.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment